If you’re in the market for a whole house water filter, then keep reading this article. If you are confused if Point of Entry and whole house water filters are the same thing, then worry no more. They are basically the same thing, because water filters are installed at the point of entry of water into homes. That’s why they are sometimes called Point of Entry
Why a whole home water filter?
If you are asking yourself if a whole house water filter is worth it, then let us answer it for you. One of the main reasons why people use a whole house water filter system is to make sure that clean water without any trace of impurities is available from all water faucets in the house. But there are also other benefits of using a home water filtration system. Here they are:
- Lengthen the life span of appliances like washing machines, blenders, water heaters. Dirty water can cause damage to some appliances if the impurities pile up over time.
- You protecting yourself from illnesses that may arise from drinking “dirty” water. When you reduce the amount of chlorine in the city water, you basically make the water safe for drinking. Also, the filter removes sediments and dirt that might find its way into the water pipes. For well water users, the water filtration system will remove the bacteria and other impurities out of the water too.
- It protects your clothes, especially the white ones, from yellowing due to the exposure to dirty water.
- It’s a money saving decision. Instead of buying and using filters for each faucet in your house, a central filtration unit will do the job for you.
- Unlike other home filtration systems, a whole house water filter system can filter more than 20 gallons of water within an hour, which should be more than enough for your daily needs.
- Whole house water filters are often very durable which will save you maintenance costs. Best of all, all you need to do is to change the filters.
Types of Whole House Water Filters
Before you buy one, you need to learn about the types of best whole house water filters. These two types are the heavy duty filtration system and the standard whole house water filtration system.
Heavy Duty System – will last from 5 or 10 years and will require less maintenance.
Standard Capacity System – will use filters that need to be changed every 6 to 12 months. It also allows you to customize the filters which is a great option if you want to filter out specific impurities.
Who is this guide for?
This guide is intended for the homeowner who wants to make sure that the water that comes into their home is clean. Although the water that is supplied to our homes is relatively safe, they always have some degree of contamination. Since many of us aren’t aware of how to treat our water directly from its source to make it clean and fit for any use, we’ve decided to put out a guide about the best water purification systems for homes, which will do exactly just that.
What factors do you need to consider when looking for a whole house water filter?
When looking for a whole house filter, you need to consider these factors:
1. Type of Filter – As mentioned above, the two types of whole house water filters are the heavy filtration systems and the standard capacity filtration system. Generally, heavy duty systems come with a carbon tank. That’s why they are also referred to as carbon tank systems. The standard capacity water filter type, or otherwise called the replaceable cartridge type needs filter replace every 6 to 12 months.
2. Budget – Whenever you are buying something, budget is always a factor. Now that you’ve chosen the type of filtration system you want, you will need to think about your budget. Generally speaking, if you have a low budget, then you should go for the replaceable filter models. If you can spend more though, go for the heavy duty filtration systems.
3. Capacity – When we talk about capacity, it is the capacity of the gallons produced that we are referring to. Some whole house water systems can filter up to 1 million gallons of water. This factor will mostly depend on your water usage.
4. Size – Considering the size of the filtration system is also a must because they will require space to be installed. Make sure you choose a unit that will give you enough space to allow for any maintenance services that may be done to it.
5. Flow Rate – If you’ve got a large household, the flow rate recommended should be high enough to cater to the needs of everyone at home. The typical flow rate of most whole house filter systems is around 15 GPM to 20 GPM(gallons per minute). The rule is, the higher the GPM, the better chance of having a steady water pressure.
6. Filter/system lifespan – Again, heavy duty systems will last longer than the replaceable cartridge models. If you opt to go for the replaceable model instead, make sure to check for the lifespan of the filter. The usual lifespan of filters is 6 to 12 months. Obviously, the longer the lifespan, the better.
7. Micron Size – The usual micron size of most whole house water filters is less than 5 microns. The rule of thumb is, the lower the micron size, the cleaner the water. If you really want a purer drinking water, going for the reverse osmosis filter is your best option. Install it in your kitchen sink or at the tap where you will draw the drinking. Compared to other filters, reverse osmosis filters are more effective because they can filter up to 0.0001 microns.
So without further ado, here are the best whole house water filters of 2018.
1. Home Master HMF2SMGCC Whole House 2-Stage Water Filter
The Home Master HMF2SMGCC water is designed for treating chloramines, chlorine, lead, mercury, taste, and odor problems. It utilizes a 2 stage filtration layer when purifying water. Best of all, it does it without reducing water pressure.
The first stage of the water filter uses a 4-layer multi-gradient depth sediment filter. It has a size range of 25, 10, 5, 5 and 0.1 microns. This filter usually lasts about 12 months but may require earlier replacement depending on the usage and quantity of sediments accumulated in it. Generally, a family of 4 can make it last for about 12 months.
The 2nd stage filter on the other hand, uses a mixed media granular activated catalytic carbon filter. Its main purpose is to keep impurities like mercury, lead, and copper out of your water. This added level of filtration ensures up to 95% protection from any kind of water impurities.
What makes the Home Master HMF2SMGC water filter great is it does a good job filtering the water in your home and turning it into potable water. Also, it uses oversized filters that help induce better water flow rate. Lastly, the filters are made of hiqh quality materials, thereby reducing the number of times the filters have to undergo maintenance.
- 95,000-gallon filter can provide up to 12 months of clean water
- Oversized filters help induce better flow rate and reduces the filters’ maintenance frequency
- Very effective 2-stage water filtration process
- 10 GPM flow rate
- Has a huge size which is not ideal for small homes
2. 3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Water Filtration System Model APN03
The 3M Aqua-Pure uses a 1,100,000-gallon filter and has a 20 gallons per minute flow rate. These 2 features alone makes this system unrivalled. It uses a proper sediment filter that will last for to 23 months(for a household of 4 people).
This water filtration system has a stainless steel top which makes it easy to install. Although it would still be better to ask a professional to install it to avoid damaging the unit and wind up replacing it completely. The 3M AquaPure filter uses a carbon filter media to get rid of impurities like sediment, dirt, chlorine taste and odor, and rust. They are all FDA CFR-21 Compliant as well. What is unique about these filters is that it uses the SQC (Sanitary Quick Change ) to aid in easier filter replacement. To help prevent clogging the filter with large particulates, it is recommended that you use a sediment filter in front of the main filter.
The downside to this unit is that it can’t filter out radon since radon is a gas. But, the unit will remove any particles that emit radon though, so that is a plus. We recommend installing this filter alongside its shutoff and pressure bypass valves to make it easier for you to change the filters by shutting the water off.
- Filters will last up to 23 months(for a household of 4 people)
- Removes chlorine taste and odor completely
- Easy to change filters
- High flow rate
- Filter and cartridge are integrated
- Water pressure weakens when filter ages
3. iSpring WGB22B 2-Stage 20-Inch Big Blue Whole House Water Filter
If you are looking for a 2-stage whole water filter for city water treatment, going for the iSpring WGB22B filter is one of the best choices you can make. iSpring has made its name for making the best reverse osmosis water filters. First, the filters are large enough to last a long time. This allows you to save money. This filtration system features a 1-inch port which guarantees that water flows well. It has a water flow rate of 15 GPM(the standard in filtration systems) which is suitable for many homes.
The iSpring WGB22B can filter fine sediment, carbon, iron, lead, and manganese. The stage 1 filter uses a 5-micron polypropylene sediment filter that can remove dirt and particulates from the water. The stage 2 filter has a 5-micron coconut shell carbon filter that will remove the bad tastes and odors that chlorine will give and other chemicals. The best thing about the iSpring WGB22B is that it is quite easy to install. But if there’s even one hint of doubt in your mind, we recommend hiring a professional to do the job for you. The installation of this filtration system involves splicing the main water line using 1” female inlet and outlet that is properly threaded. It is especially easy if you are using PVC pipes. As always, you need to shut off the valves before installing or changing the filters it to ensure a hassle free process.
- Will provide clean water effectively
- High flow rate of 15 GPM
- Gallon size of 100,000
- Deals unfalteringly with bad taste, odor, chlorine, lead, magnesium and sediments
- Filters won’t last beyond 7 months
4. Home Master HMF2SDGC Whole House 2-Stage Water Filter
The Home Master HMF2SSDGC whole house filter system is a beast of a whole house water filter system. It comes with huge filter housings and sports a 1-inch port that makes sure that the distribution of water is at a very high flow rate of up to 20 GPM in some cases(normally at 15 GPM). It also uses a 100,000-gallon coconut shell carbon filter which can be replaced. Another feature is that the system comes with a 1-micron spore dual gradient density filter. This filter will make sure that the smallest particles, odor and tastes won’t get past the filter.
It boasts of a 2-stage system, which will essentially filter your water through 25 microns, 10 microns, 5 microns, and 1 micron sized filters. By design, it removes sediment, chlorine and other chemicals like pesticides and herbicides. The Home Master HMF2SDGC will be able to provide clean water for a household of four members for a year. Best of all, the Home Master HMF2SDGC can be used alongside other products like a UV sanitizer or a water softener. All you need to do is to connect it to your water softener or your UV sanitizer.
- Has strong mounting brackets
- Solid build of filters
- High water flow rate
- Can provide up to 100,000 gallons of water
- Can be used alongside softeners and UV sanitizers
- Doesn’t have pressure release and shut off valves
- Loose plastic threads on ports
5. Aquasana 10-Year, 1,000,000 Gallon Whole House Water Filter
The Aquasana EQ-1000 whole house water filter is a high capacity product with a plethora of options. It has a softener, a UV sanitizer, a pro kit and a 10-year filter, although you can opt for the 5-year filter too. You can also choose between the 6-year water filter or the 4-year chloramine filter. The only downside to this system is that it only has a flow rate of 7 GPM. But this is only a minor flaw since its other benefits far outweigh its flaw.
The filters of the house water filter are designed to remove chlorine, mercury, pesticides, silt, water soluble metals, rust, industrial solvents and lead. If that doesn’t amaze you, then maybe this will. This particular system uses a 3-stage filter. The first stage filters dust and other debris while the second stage removes bacteria and substances like herbicides and pesticides. The third and final stage uses a 0.35 sub-micron filter that filters out any organic compounds that may have passed through the second stage.
Another good thing about the Aquasana EQ-1000 is it requires little professional experience in plumbing since it has its own pro-grade installation kit which makes the installation of this system pretty easy for experts who are familiar with the process.
- Filter that lasts for a decade
- Large capacity
- Easy to install
- Recommended for large households
- Takes up a lot of space
6. DuPont WFPF13003B Universal Whole House Water Filtration System
If you are looking to improve water clarity, the DuPont WFPF13003B is a great option. It is very affordable and can often serve its purpose since it is packaged in threes. To get the best results, we recommend using the 15 microns, 5 microns, and 1-micron carbon filters respectively. By doing this, you will ensure that your water won’t have any impurities.
Although the DuPont WFPF13003B filter only has a flow rate of 5GPM, you won’t feel any reduction in the water pressure in your home. The DuPont has a 10-inch micron filter that is very effective in removing impurities that include sediments, rust, heavy metals, bad tastes and odors, and chlorine. You do have to upgrade the filter to make it an all around water filter.
This filtration system is moderately sized and is easy to install even if you have little plumbing knowledge. Best of all, changing the filter is easier than most other brands. Just make sure you shut off the valves when doing so. As an added bonus, you can also install a UV water purifier alongside this system just like the Aquasana EQ-1000.
- Very affordable
- Can be bought and arranged sequentially
- Can be used alongside UV purifiers and other water purification systems
- Easy to install
- Plastic threads may leak easily if not properly handled
7. iSpring WGB32B 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
Think of the iSpring WGB32B as an upgrade of the iSpring WGB22 that was mentioned above. They have similarities and can be used interchangeably. The main difference is, this 3-stage filtration systems will provide cleaner water than the 2-stage model.
As 3-stage filters goes, this system filters the water coming into your house by running it through several filters with varying microns. This filtration process is very effective because it eliminates up to 95% of sediments that taint your water. It will also filter out other impurities like chlorine, rust, chemicals and other contaminants.
Just like its 2-stage counterpart, this 3-stage system also sports a flow rate of 15 GPM and gallon size of 100,000. To cut it short, if you lack the budget, go for the 2-stage version. But if you can afford to spend more, go for the iSpring WGB32B as it is more effective at cleaning your water.
- Very effective in removing water contaminants
- Has a long-lasting filtration service up to 100,000 gallons
- Can be used with another reusable sediment filter
- Requires a lot of space
8. Home Master HMF3SDGFEC Whole House 3-Stage Water Filter
Just like the iSpring WGB32B, the Home Master HMF3SDGFEC is an upgrade of the 2-stage model that is listed above. It is designed to effectively eliminate the impurities in your water. The Home Master HMF3SDGFEC shares the same design and operating principle with the Home Master HMF2SDGC. It offers the same flow rate of 15 GPM with a 100,000-gallon size. Just like any 3-stage filter, each stage has its respective functions. The first stage is designed to remove large particles like dirt and sand and can filter down to 1 micron. The second stage is designed to remove iron, sulfur, manganese and some other heavy metals. And lastly, the third stage removes chlorine and some other chemicals that get past the 1st and 2nd stage. It’s one of the best whole house water filters for well water.
- Specialized 3-stage filtration system
- Can provide clean up to 1 year
- Excellent in eliminating iron from your water
- Long lasting filters
- Plastic on copper fitting leaks if not properly installed
- Not easy to install
9. APEX MR-3030 Whole House Water Filtration System
Unlike the iSpring and Home Master brands, APEX is relatively new in the industry. But this doesn’t mean that the APEX MR-3030 whole house water filter system can’t pack a punch. This 3-stage filtration system is built for eliminating all forms of water impurities like sediment particles, chlorine, water odor, and smell. What is unique about this unit is that the three filters are housed in one filter body, not unlike the single filters on other models. Although it has a much more unique design, it still functions just like a normal 3-stage filter. Each stage can filter a particular type of impurity to ensure the water remains pure. The filters of this system use 1-micron pores which are tiny enough not to filter out any impurity. Since the three filters are housed in one unit, it becomes cost effective in the long run. Lastly, the APEX MR-3030 has a flow rate of 15 GPM and a size of 20,000 gallons which is enough for a small home.
- 3 different filters ranging from 5 microns, 1 micron and a carbon filter
- Removes chlorine and other water impurities significantly
- Excellent flow rate of 15 GPM
- Conveniently treats well or city water
- Changing filters can be difficult
10. Aquasana 3-Year, 300,000 Gallon Whole House Water Filter
Last but certainly not the least in our list is the Aquasana 3-Year, 300,000 Gallon whole house water filter. Like the Aquasana 10-Year, 1,000,000 Gallon version, this system also has a 7 GPM water flow rate and but only has 300,000-gallon size filter. It offers easy installation using the Pro Install Kit too. The 3-year filter offers exactly the same filtration guarantee as its predecessor but at a more affordable option. One important thing to note is that once the filter expires, you can get a replacement tank which costs a little less than the whole system. The replacement tank will be able to get you through a couple more years before it finally packs up.
The Aquasana 3-year water filter is upgraded to include a UV sterilization kit as well as a salt water softener. Best of all, you can also use a post filter alongside the main filters which will work in tandem to make your water cleaner. There are also the 500,000 or 600,000-gallon version. Just remember that the higher the gallon size, the more expensive it is.
- Long-lasting filters
- Easy to change filters
- Ensures water is clean and clear for your household
- Water pressure remains the same
- Needs the help of a professional when installing
Now that we’ve seen the top 10 whole house water filters and their benefits and disadvantages, let’s take a look at how a whole house water filter works to better understand which one fits your needs.
How does it work?
There’s an obvious difference between the single filters that are usually installed in kitchen and bathroom sinks compared to the whole house systems. A whole house water filtration system ensures that the water drawn from any faucet in the house is clean because it is installed at the entry point of water into the house. Generally speaking, most of these type of systems follow a 3-step process.
The first step will act as the pre-filtering stage wherein a pre-filter is placed before the main filtration system. This pre-filter will work all the time to remove large impurities and contaminants. Pre-filters usually use 5-micron filters. The best thing about this pre-filter is it will help prevent clogging in the system. The second step in most systems is the removal of chlorine. A filter designed to remove chlorine is used so that the taste and color of your water is not bad.
During the third step, the use of an activated charcoal filter or a carbon filter removes any other leftover impurities. After this stage, you can still purify the water by using a water softening system or a reverse osmosis system. A water softener system will remove water hardness while the reverse osmosis system will make the water cleaner to a higher degree. The general rule is to use a reverse osmosis filter in your kitchen sink where you get your drinking water.
How do you install a whole house water filter?
Now that you know how it works, it is time to learn how to install it. Although installing a whole house water filter is not a job for the inexperienced, don’t let that fact discourage you from learning how to install it. Just remember that the installation procedure differs slightly depending on the system you want to install. Here are the basic installation principles.
- Adjustable wrench
- Pipe cutter
- Slip joint push fitting
- Teflon tape
- Copper coupling
- Pressure gauge
Here are the steps:
Turn off the water source – You need to turn off the main water source into your house. Locate the shut-off valve and turn it till it closes.
Drain the water – Draining the water is the next step. To do this, turn on the kitchen sink faucet and allow the water to run until there is no more water running out the faucet.
Chose the location – Remember that the location should have enough room for the unit you are about to install. Find a spot near the water source but make sure it is away from children. Keep in mind that you need enough space for changing filters and other maintenance procedures.
Cut the pipe – Once you select the location, the next thing to do is to measure and mark the pipes. Be extra careful when measuring and marking the spots for the shut-off valves and the pressure gauges. Doing this will help a lot when you are changing filters. Use a pipe cutter to cut the pipe and make sure to keep a bucket nearby to collect any water that may run off from the pipe so that you won’t leave a mess. Remove any burrs from the pipe with the use of a reamer.
Insert shut-off valves – Insert the shut-off valves at the end of both pipes on your main water pipe. This will be used to control the water when you need to change the filters.
Mount the unit – Mount the whole house water filter by screwing a plywood panel on to the wall. If you don’t have a plywood, you can mount the filtration unit on the wall using the mounting brackets. Keep in mind that the sediment filter should always come first followed by other filters. You will find the directions for placing the filters on the installation manual. Don’t forget to place the input and output fittings to each side of the water filter. Then, apply enough Teflon tape to make sure it is sealed completely.
Attach the pipes to the ends you cut – After mounting the unit, you need to attach the pipes of the system and the pipes you cut initially together. Use push fittings or a compression nut for this purpose. Push fittings are more expensive but they are easier to use compared to compression nuts. Lastly, place the filter’s input and output to the push fittings.
Changing the Filters
Now that you know how to install a whole house filter, the next thing you need to learn about is how to change the filters. The frequency on changing filters will depend on the type of unit you are using, so let’s get that out of the way first. Now to change the filters, you will need these:
- A bucket
- Filter wrench which often comes with the filter
- New filter
- Turn the shut-off valves on. Then drain the water in the pipe system by turning on your sink tap.
- If your system has a red pressure release button, press it.
- Place the bucket under the filter you want to change.
- Use the filter wrench and loosen the filter until you can easily turn it out using your hands. Once that is done, remove the filter wrench.
- Remove the filter and pour the remaining water into your bucket.
- Take the filter from its housing. Rinse the housing with hot water to get rid of any leftover dirt. You can also use dish soap. Just make sure you rinse it thoroughly.
- Inspect the casing if there are any leftovers from the previous filter. If there are, make sure to remove them.
- Inspect the rubber ring for any flaws. If it requires changing, change it. If not, put it back into place.
- Use silicone grease to lubricate the O ring.
- Get the new filter and place it in the housing. Make sure it is positioned properly. Once that is done, screw the housing back to the unit with a filter wrench. Ensure that it is not too tight and that the standpipe sits in place with the cartridge.
- After that is done, turn off the shut-off valves. Press the pressure release button. Let the water run for a few minutes. Check the water by tasting or testing it.
Best UV Filters
If you want to further purify your drinking water, a complementary equipment you can use is a UV filter. Installing a UV water filter next to a whole house water filter system will make sure your water is very safe to drink. UV filters are very effective with dealing with bacteria and viruses in water because they wipe out these organisms and other biological contaminants completely. They can even kill chlorine-resistant microorganisms. So if you are thinking of getting one, here are the best UV filters to go for.
1. Ultraviolet Light Water Purifier Whole House UV Sterilizer
This is the king of UV water filters. The Ultraviolet Light Water Purifier Whole House UV Sterilizer boasts of an energy requirement of just 55W. It is designed to mercilessly kill microbes, viruses, E. coli and other harmful bacteria in the water. This system has a flow rate of 12GPM which will definitely not affect your water pressure. It features a glass tube UV lamp and only weighs 7 pounds. It comes with an AC power cord to power the unit. Upon purchase, you will also get mounting brackets and 2 replacement bulbs. The only flaw that we can find with this unit is that the seals aren’t watertight. When installing, we recommend you seek the help of a professional because it might be a bit tedious for you.
2. Ronaqua Ultraviolet Light Water Purifier Whole House UV Sterilizer 55W
The Ronaqua UV water purifier comes in second in the list because it is pretty similar with the top pick. It has a 55W low-pressure UV lamp and comes with two other replacement bulbs upon purchase. Just like the Ultraviolet Light Water Purifier Whole House UV Sterilizer, this unit does exactly what it’s designed to do, which is to remove waterborne organisms in the water.
The Ronaqua UV light system also has a flow rate of 12GPM which is more than enough to cater to the water needs of a moderately large house.You only need to change the UV bulbs once in a year just like other UV filters. Installing this unit is also fairly easy, but you still need to take extra care not to damage the bulbs. It can be mounted either horizontally or vertically. The only downside to this unit is the weak clips which may not be able to properly hold it in place.
3. Hqua Ultraviolet Water Purifier Sterilizer
If you are looking for a budget UV water filter, then the Hqua Ultraviolet Water Purifier Sterilizer is your best choice. Although this UV filter only has a 6 GPM flow rate, it can remove up to 99.99% of water bacteria and other contaminants in less than 2 seconds. It has a power rating of 25W, which 30W less than the Ronaqua model. This will allow you to save on your monthly electricity bill. Since it has a low flow rate, it is not recommended for households with sizeable water needs.
Upon purchase, you get one extra UV replacement bulb. The bulbs will last for 9000 hours or approximately 1 year. This system is also fairly easy to install. The manufacturer also recommends that you clean the quartz sleeve of the UV filter every 6 months and change the filter once it reaches 12 months.
How do UV filters work and are they safe?
To better understand the value of a UV filter, let’s take a look at how they work.
First, the water must go through a proper filtration system before it is filtered by a UV filter(i.e. whole house water filter). By doing so, most sediments and particulates that are in the water are eliminated. This is important because the presence of particulates will make it difficult for the UV filter to work effectively.
Once the whole house water filter does its job, the water is now channelled to the UV water filter. It will emit UV light which will kills the bacteria and other organisms found in the water. This process is done in the flow chamber where the light source is. Remember that the general flow rate of your whole house water system may decrease if the UV water filter’s flow rate is lower. Bear in mind that the water needs to flow at a minimal flow rate to properly sterilize the water. That is why it is recommended to install a UV filter with a similar flow rate as your filtration system.
As for it being safe, the answer is YES. That’s because a UV filter doesn’t add any particles to the water. Instead, it removes the unwanted microorganisms. Just remember that a UV water filter’s purpose is to remove bacteria and other microorganisms. Contaminants like chlorine, volatile organic compounds and heavy metals in the water are best left for whole house water filters. This is why a UV filter is not a standalone filter to make your water clean of everything.
A UV filter is cost effective because it energy efficient. It also doesn’t add any new chemicals to the water it filters. They are quite easy to install but you will need to take extra care to avoid damaging the unit during installation. It also requires less maintenance(only for changing the UV lamp yearly).
It depends on electricity to function.
How do you replace the UV filter bulb?
Remember that this is usually done only once a year. It is fairly easy so you don’t need professional help to do this. To change the bulb, follow the steps below:
- Unplug the AC adapter.
- Let the bulb cool down. Then, remove the protective cover of the UV light water filter.
- Unscrew the connector from the top of the bulb.
- Unscrew the bulb and remove it from the UV filter.
- Take the new bulb and insert it in slowly and carefully. Screw the bulb back again.
- Turn the water back on and see if there are any leaks. If there are none, then proceed to the next step.
- Connect the connector to the unit with the use of the screw you removed earlier. Place the protective cap.
- Then plug the AC adapter back to the outlet. Lastly, reset the UV water filter unit by pressing and holding the reset button for 5 seconds to set the days back to 365.
Why is it important to know the water quality?
It is important to know the quality of the water before and after its filtration, so you will know the effectiveness of the filtration system. You can do this by testing the water for its quality before and after it has gone through filtration. To determine the quality, you can request for a Consumer Confidence Report (CCR). This is usually supplied by the municipal area. Or you can request for the report published by the Environmental Protection Agency EPA. Take note that this document is free to obtain and will indicate what your water contains. Since you now have an idea of what’s in your water, you can now test it.
With the help of a home water testing kit, you will be able to determine the water’s level of purity. Although this is a bit expensive, using this testing kit can get you instant results right in your home. Just use the test kit to check for bacteria, chlorine, lead, iron, water hardness, pH, and other impurities. It won’t be as accurate as what you’d get in a laboratory, but, it will still give you a good idea of the levels.
Another option is to have the water in a laboratory. This is recommended especially if you have treated a waterborne disease before. This method is more expensive than the home water testing kit, but it’s worth the money. Just collect a sample from your home and take it to the lab for testing. It generally takes time to get results, so be patient.
What are the best home water testing kits?
If you are keen on getting a home water testing kit, here are the best ones to go for.
Baldwin Meadows Drinking Water Test Kit – The best thing about this water test kit is that is an inexpensive way of testing your water at home. It can test for the presence of lead, copper, iron, nitrites, nitrates, chlorine, alkalinity levels, pH, and hardness. To test for impurities, all you need to do is to dip the Baldwin strip into the water. Upon purchase, you will get 100 strips.
Watersafe WS425W Well Water Test Kit – The Watersafe kit allows you to test your water sources for nitrates, nitrites, toxins and other contaminants. It’s best used for testing well water.
First Alert WT1 Drinking Water Test Kit – This kit is mainly used for checking the hardness of water as well as detecting the presence of bacteria, lead, pesticides, etc.
With whole house water filters, there’s no reason for you to drink unclean and unsafe water anymore. You can’t go wrong with picking any of these best water filters mentioned above. Since you already know how to install and change the filters, testing water for impurities and using UV water filters to complement your whole house water filter, you can sleep better at night knowing that the water you will be drinking will be clean and safe.