If you are an outdoorsman and you frequently visit remote areas where the water is not safe for drinking, using an excellent water purification tablet is your only option. Water purification tablets are also very useful when you are facing an emergency situation like a hurricane or typhoon. It works by killing the pathogens so that the water will then be safe for drinking. Although boiling the water can also do that, water purification tablets are still the more efficient alternative.
When do you need to use a water purification tablet?
If you are hiking or trekking and you need to drink lots of water to keep hydrated, you will usually encounter rivers or streams. If your water supply runs out, these streams and rivers will be a very tempting option. The only problem is, most of these natural sources of water may look beautiful and clear, but it is not safe for drinking. These sources may contain viruses and bacteria that can be harmful when ingested. Seeing that water purification tablets can kill these pathogens, you can ensure that you will be drinking good, clean water after applying it.
How do you choose the best water purification tablet?
There are 2 types of water purification tablets, the chlorine treatment and the iodine treatment. The iodine treatment is considered to be more effective than chlorine treatment to some extent. One thing to take not when you are using iodine treatment tablets, you need to make sure that you use a dark bottle because iodine is sensitive to light. The only drawback is that iodine-based water purification tablets usually make the water taste strange, which then makes it hard to drink.
Before you buy one, make sure that you are not allergic to iodine. Aside from that, if you have thyroid problems, you should not drink water treated with iodine-based tablets. So, your only option is to use chlorine-based water purification tablets. Also, pregnant women and children are advised to always use chlorine-based water purification tablets because iodine-based tablets may cause harmful effects to their systems.
How do these tablets work?
These tablets all work in one way. They will either contain chlorine, iodine or chlorine oxide that will kill harmful pathogens and bacteria in the water. By doing so, it will prevent any water-borne diseases like cholera, typhoid and dysentery. All these diseases are caused by ingesting dirty water. The only difference between them is that they may have leave an unpleasant and stronger taste than the other.
How do you use water purification tablets?
When you buy these tablets, make sure they are in their air-tight packaging. The packaging is important to make sure that the tablets are not be contaminated before you use them. If they are exposed to bad weather, humidity and extreme temperature, they will lose their effect or become less effective, which is something you don’t want. So that is your priority if you are packing these tablets when you go hiking or camping outdoors. Here is the general procedure for using these tablets.
- Filter the water first and allow any dirt to settle. Filter it and transfer it to another container.
- Before you place the tablets in the water, make sure to follow the dosage indicated in the instructions. Leave it for a while and allow it to take effect.
- The amount of dissolving time will vary depending on the tablet you will use, so make sure to read the enclosed instructions to determine the right amount of waiting time before you drink the water.
Note that you have to ensure that the mouth piece of the water bottle you drink from is also purified. Just to be safe, pour out some of the purified water and then quickly seal the water bottle.
What are the benefits of using these tablets?
First and foremost, you will be able to drink clean and harmless water. Contaminated water will have harmful effects to your health and in some cases, can even cause death. By purifying your drinking water, you kill the microorganisms and pathogens that make the water unsafe for drinking. Untreated water may also contain toxic minerals like copper and magnesium which are harmful to your health.
Water purification tablets also remove as many minerals as possible to risk any harm to your body. Make sure to seek medical attention as fast as possible in case you experience symptoms like nausea and/or vomiting when you drink water that was not treated with a water purification tablet.
So without further ado, here are the best water purification tablets of 2018.
1. Aquamira Water Purifier Tablets – Tactical 50 pack
What tops our list is the Aquamira Water Purifier tablets. These tablets are best suited if you are going out to for a hunting expedition or a long camping trip that includes hiking. This water purification table shines when the availability of safe drinking water is hard to find. A tablet of Aquamira Water Purifier can purify one liter of water.
- Long shelf life
- Hard to contaminate due to packaging
- Contains military-grade chlorine dioxide, a powerful germicidal agent
- Improve the taste of the water and doesn’t add any coloration
- Reusable pouch
- Registered by EPA; Reg.No. 70020-22-71766
- Ultralight and compact
- Use of a filter system is recommended
- Takes about 4 hours to fully work which is quite long
Taharmayim is the best water purification tablet if you plan to go backpacking in the outdoors. This water purification tablet becomes a hiking essential just in case there is an emergency where you can’t find any clean drinking water. A tablet can purify a liter of dirty water straight from the river, lake or stream within 30 minutes.
- Easy to understand instructions in each packet
- Can used to disinfect a wound in case of emergencies
- Can be used to purify fruits and vegetables too
- Less strong smell and taste since it is chlorine-based
- Very portable
- May cause quite a strong smell of chlorine in the water
3. TAC-H2O Refill-100 Aquatab – By Tac-Bar Tactical Food Rations
The TAC-H2O Refill-100 Aquatab is an affordable water purification table that will work in just about 30 minutes. It will make your drinking water clean and safe for drinking which makes it a must for your outdoor adventure. Best of all, a tablet can purify 5 liters of water.
- Lightweight and portable
- Pleasant after taste
- Will kill microorganisms and prevents dysentery, cholera and typhoid
- Globally used and US EPA approved for treating long term drinking water
- Very durable packaging that prevents contamination
- Only has a shelf life of 5 years
- Directions on how to use may be difficult to understand for some
4. Aquatabs Water Purification Tablets
Considered one of the best water purification tablets on the market today, the Auquatabs water purification tablets are affordably priced and will work within 30 minutes of application. Aquatabs is a trusted brand in a lot countries and has been used in emergency situations for over 20 years. More than 3 billion gallons of water are treated by Aquatabs annually, that’s how trusted they are.
- Fast-acting which is suitable for emergency situations like earthquakes, floods, hurricanes and tornados
- Taste in water is consistently great
- Lightweight and easy to transport
- A tablet can only treat two liters of water at most.
- Doesn’t treat cryptosporidium
5. Katadyn Micropur
Katadyn Micropur are lightweight tablets that can treat one liter of water. They are chlorine dioxide based tablets and are designed to remove any unpleasant taste that usually accompanies chlorine dioxide based water purification tablets.
- Easy to transport and packaging decreases the risk of contamination(waterproof)
- Wrapped in an easy to open wrapper
- Registered by PEA as a microbiological water purifier
- Proven to be an effective remedy against bacteria, giardia, cryptosporidium and viruses
- No measuring or mixing required
- May take longer to purify the water that is too dirty
- May cause the water to look yellowish after the treatment(but still safe for drinking)
When choosing a water purification tablet to use, you will have to consider these factors before buying:
- Can you use it for emergency purposes?
- Will you use it for backpacking?
- Do you just want to use it at home or bring it anywhere you want to go?
So, from all the factors that we need to consider, we can conclude that the Aquamira Water Purifier Tablets, Pack of 50 is the most recommended water purifying tablet. It will work great for any water purification activity and is very light and easy to transport. The only drawback to this product is that it can’t remove sediment. But if you use a filter to remove the sediment, you can offset the drawback. All you have to do now is to wait four hours for your water to be completely safe for drinking. In case of emergencies though, the Aquatabs Water Purification Tablets 100/pack is the more recommended purification tablet. It is first-acting and does not cause any weird taste to the water. It is also safe for children and pregnant women and for people who are allergic from iodine.